Sunday, October 21, 2012

Church In A House

When I learned Tom Short, the sexist & homophobic preacher who goes to colleges to preach, was brought by there by the UNO group The Rock and that they are associated with a local church, I decided to make that church my next visit.  When I got to the address provided online for Candlewood Church, I found this:

Picture obtained via Google Street View

This is Candlewood Church?  There were no cars there, and I was there during the time their services were supposedly going on.  Maybe they meet elsewhere.  But why hide it?  Why have a house as their listed address?  How do new members find them?  Perhaps it's an invite only kind of church.  That certainly would be an interesting method for a church who thinks Jesus commissioned them to convert the whole world.

I was already prepared to be creeped out by this church, but this was more creepy than I was expecting.  

Luckily, it just turned out to be because of a mix of bad information on the web and some rushed googling. With further research, I later found a working website (not sure how I didn't find it in the morning) for them that shows they meet in a local school.  I wonder if it's a public(ly funded) school.  I guess I know my plans for next Sunday morning.

Edit:  This morning and moments before I published this, www.candlewoodcc.org/ was a broken link. Minutes after publishing, it's redirecting to their other website.  Hmm . . .

2 comments:

  1. Prairie Wind off of 108th Fort Street Sunday Morning at 9:00 am.

    Saturday Night at Westside Conference Center off of 108th and grover is another location.

    How did you find that pic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture is from Google Maps, on the address they have listed as the church's address.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?sugexp=chrome,mod%3D0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=candlewood+church+omaha&fb=1&gl=us&hq=candlewood+church&hnear=0x87938dc8b50cfced:0x46424d4fae37b604,Omaha,+NE&cid=0,0,11816102640890113853&sa=X&ei=p7CEUMGuFKX02wWsqoC4DQ&ved=0CEMQrwswBA

    ReplyDelete